Saturday, October 4, 2008

Venting

While enjoying a quiet cuddle with Cade this afternoon I saw a familiar looking man drop a flyer off in my mailbox. I got up about 5 minutes later, with a feeling of dread. I recognized him, his name is Bill Whatcott. He is an extreme right wing "rights" activist. The flyer contained a photo of a man in bondage and a dead baby. It was awful. The essence of the flyer was anti-gay, anti-abortion and anti-feminist. Now, this is n't really about my opinions on the matters at hand, rather the slanderous, hateful approach that this person takes toward everyone he disusses in the pamphlet, including a slanderous and derogatory paragraph on our local MP (who I don't vote for but also does not deserve the repulsive comments made about him). You know what made me REALLY angry? Some kid, somewhere, will pick up that "flyer" and be traumatized.

So, me being me...I ran outside. Chased him down, while he was STEALING apples from a neighbours tree and told him that he was inciting hatred and that I didn't want him anywhere near my property, let alone on it, I have no use for his trash and he can keep it to himself. This guy is about 6 feet tall, and actually looks like a biker. I thought he would fight with me, I was all ready, heart racing, endorphins flowing freely, and I seriously wanted to KICK HIS ASS> I wanted him to come at me, I was that angry. Yes, and that stupid-as tough as I think I am, it was ridiculous to think I could take him.

But anyway, he just said that I already got the flyer and wouldn't get another and he walked away, stolen apples in tow.

I called the police. I guess I should interject the background here-this guy has been found guilty of hate crimes in Regina. It is not a freedom of speech issue, he is inciting hatred. The piolie told me to call Alberta Human Rights. I did, I left a message. I called the MPs office to notify them and I've proceeded to stew and wish I could have punched him...for the last 5 hours.

I really do welcome others opinions, even if I don't agree. However, delivering flyers that include blatant lies and attack groups of people isn't right. Get an education, be eloquent. Be a human being.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Wow....That's scary....what a loser.
I hope they can do something about him. Where does someone even find pictures like that to put on a flyer?

Sick.

October 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM  
Blogger holly* said...

i agree. thats judt sick. dont get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, BUT i dont need their opinions to leave xerox copies of dead babies in my mailbox. 1. at least the guy was non-confrontational. (i really dont want you posting about your fat lip/black eye and how you beat this guy up in a fit of rage) 2. you followed through with notifying the appropriate authority. granted, i dont know what it will result, but you did what you could.

October 5, 2008 at 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home