Monday, March 24, 2008

Desperately seeking experienced mom advice!

Poor poor Cade. He has a nasty flu/viral infection. It landed him in the hospital today, due to a really high fever and general lethargy. 4 hours later....there was nothing they could give him, but they laid out a plan for keeping him hydrated, told us to give Tylenol to try to keep the fever down, and a bunch of other details. I was feeling ok when we left the hospital but now I'm super stressed out. I'm wondering if I am missing something? He obviously has what I have too, so now we have two really sick people at home and Ty has to work the next two days. I called in sick because I couldn't work with my own illness let alone wonder (obsess) about my child from afar, or expose Amy's son to this. My poor little person is just laying on us, looking up, all red faced with pale mottled skin, nose running, laboured breathing, high fever, not eating solids, drinking about half of the usual, crying in the highchair, crying in the tub....I could go on. I desperately need advice from experienced moms, before I storm the hospital and demand admittance.

Help.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Hi Kristian,

You may have tried these already, but here are some of my suggestions....

-Pedialyte for the hydration. It's easy on their tummy's too. (last easter Hailey was throwing up her formula but she was able to keep pedialyte down)
-if he'll tolerate it some fruit popcicles (not sugary ones) or a cool bath or shower. (sounds like he didn't like the tub already...)
-A cool washcloth on his head or the back of his neck. (If your husband can run out to london drugs, they have those "ouch" ice packs for kids in cute characters that you put in the fridge.) It may be more novel then the cloth :)
-try keeping him in just his diaper and a light blanket, especially if he's lying on you. that'll help cool him down. that really helps bring down Hailey's fever.

Sorry, I don't have too much experience with this. Ironically Hailey and I had it last easter....

good luck and i hope you both feel better soon!

March 24, 2008 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger holly* said...

Here I am, pitying myself because my son and I both have MILD colds as you sit and struggle to keep Cade from spontaneously exploding! Ack! You just cant catch a break. I cant offer much help except on the bathtub front. Have you tried bathing WITH him? When my son is sick/just got done puking all over something, he hates taking a bath alone. If I get into the tub with him, it’s a whole new ball game. Plus, even if he is still hysterical, I’m at least right there to comfort him in the tub thus giving us more fever reducing time in there.
Pedialite pops are a good idea too, but not too many as they can tear up one’s mouth. on the medication frontline, I was giving the boogerbear children’s mucinex via a Tylenol dropper, but that didn’t work so I busted out with the NatraBio Children’s Cold&Flu Relief one of those “natural homeopathic” options) found at your local hippy, crunchy market. Its one of the few cold/flu reliefs out there that has a printed dosage for children over 4mo and really seems to be helping my son’s congestion issues. Looking at the box now though, it doesn’t say anything about fever reducing.
I wish I could offer more help!

March 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home